Wednesday, May 23, 2007

MySpace, the place where old movies go to die... [Video]

Well, now that I finally got around to tweaking out my profile, I figured I'd get around to doing this blog thing. What better way to start than by posting some embarrassing videos!

This is the 2nd film (if you can call it that), that I ever made. Ok, not technically, I made some even worse films in high school but I don't have copies of those. Anyway, I've had this little gem sitting around on my desk for some time now and not been sure what to do with it, so I decided to throw it up here for everyone's viewing pleasure.

A little history about this film. This was made as a project for an 8mm filmmaking class I took at BGSU way back in 1992 with the help of three classmates, Shane Perkins, Brian True, and Katie Johnson. It was shot on a really old Sankyo Super-8 camera in just one day. It only screened one time, at the prestigious 1992 BGSU 8mm Film Festival. We got an "A" on it, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Doug was grading on a curve.

When I first dusted off this old VHS copy I thought, "Hey, I'll digitize this thing, color correct it, fix the bad edits and camera flops, and put together a nice DVD for Shane, Katie and Brian." I even have some behind-the-scenes footage, bloopers, and some commentary from all of us that got picked up on the VHS tapes when we transferred from 8mm. Then I realized that might offend film purists so I decided to go with the raw version. Ok, I just don't have the time to spend screwing around with old movies and I have no idea how to get in touch with Katie, Shane and Brian. Still, if someone out there  wants to score a new soundtrack, I'm game!

One final embarrassing tidbit about this film is the fact that this was actually on my demo reel when I applied for my first internship at Pinnacle Productions. Not sure if Bill Monks was amused by the effort or just took pity, but I ended up getting the gig, and the rest is history.

Revenge



Add to My Profile | More Videos