Monday, August 13, 2007

Flash! AH! AH!


I just got around to watching the pilot episode of the new Flash Gordon series on the Sci Fi channel.

I'm pretty darn forgiving when it comes to bad tv sci fi. I have Sliders on DVD, I watch Tom Baker Dr. Who whenever it's on local PBS and I can't resist an episode of Gil Gerard Buck Rogers. All of which means I'll be keeping this thing on the Tivo season pass for at least a few more weeks.

I'm not going to waste blog space dissecting the pilot episode. Nor am I going to criticize the stilted acting, bad dialog, lack of special fx, missing actions sequences, or the heavily-borrowed-from-Sliders plot devices.

I have only one true bitch about this show. And it's the lack of this:


C'mon Sci Fi! You've been teasing us for weeks with promos playing little snippets of this classic theme (albeit a cover version) and you don't even use it in the show! Not even in the closing credits! Don't you realize that all classic sci fi shows have killer opening credits and theme music?

Would BTVS still rock without the Nerf Herder title sequence?

Would Star Trek be as cool without the NCC-1701 zipping through space?

Would the Greatest American Hero or Buck be as awesome without their opening themes?

Would classic BSG have even been a good show without its theme music?

Word of advice to Sci Fi Channel: Next week, Flash better have some opening credits, and they better KICK SOME ASS! Ah! Ah!




...ok, before you start blasting me, I realize that the new BSG and LOST both lack awesome credits and theme music, but they are so awesome, I forgive them.