Sunday, January 30, 2011

I’m Sorry to Tell You, but Your Shoot Has Been Eliminated [Video]

Outside the Princeton Public Library
on Thursday, January 27, 2011
We've had a bit of a snow thing going on lately.  This means I get to spend some extra time with the kids and experience the full joy of living in a street parking neighborhood.

Snow is also the reason I'm not writing to you about the awesomeness that would have been the Classroom Close-up, NJ shoot for Making Stuff at Princeton University. This enormous event for nearly 1000 middle school students tied to the 4-Part Nova series of the same name was canceled due to weather.

I can't tell you what would have happened at Making Stuff, but I can tell you I was looking forward to it because the taping agenda reminded me of one of my all-time favorite assignments, Envirothon.


The NJ Envirothon was also a big event with hundreds of participants where rather than try to document everything, we decided to follow a small group of students from start to finish (this was the same plan I had for last week's non-shoot).

Not me.
However, Envirothon also had the added bonus of being a science competition, so I decided to take a crack at editing it Amazing Race style. And while I'm definitely no Elise Doganieri, Bertram van Munster or Phil Keoghan, I could not have cast a more entertaining group of students to follow. I don't think their team even came close to winning, but they totally made the segment work.

Another added bonus was that it was really warm the day we shot Envirothon.

And it didn't snow.