Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This Might Be as Close to ‘Robots Versus Wrestlers’ as You Can Get [Video]

"I'm so friggin' cool!
How come nobody likes me?"
More than once, I've considered starting a blog dedicated to the awesomeness that is robots. If I had to choose my favorite (fictional) robot, I'd probably pick Voltron. I'm especially partial to vehicle Voltron. Maybe because it seems like no one else likes him. (I feel the same way about the Southern Cross chapter of Robotech.) Anyway, enough with the 80's anime nostalgia. Let's talk about some real robot action.

This weekend the 2011 NJ Regional FIRST Event is being held in Trenton. Yes, this Friday and Saturday at the Sun Bank Center, 62 teams will battle it out for regional robot supremacy and a chance to move on to the finals in St. Louis.

You might have seen the story Classroom Close-up, NJ aired about the robotics team from North Brunswick High School earlier this season (which I wrote about in this post). But just in case you missed it, here it is:


So this weekend is your chance to see some competitive robotics up close and personal. The event is FREE and open to the public (free parking too). All the info you need is on the NJ FIRST website.

Besides, if we fail to support competitive robotics to the greatest possible extent we may never get a real Robots Versus Wrestlers...


...and I really want to see that.