Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New Jersey Public TV Will Now Broadcast from Tokyo and Feature Frequent David Bowie Appearances?

BowieRaR87

He doesn't know where he's 
going from here, but he promises 
it won't be boring.
"Thanks, New Jersey."

That was NJN Senior Political Correspondent Michael Aron's sign off last night as he reported live from the State House after a senate measure to stop the transfer of NJN to WNET failed in a 20-19 vote.

Beginning Friday, July 1, NJN will be replaced by NJTV, the new public television network for the state of New Jersey operated by WNET Channel 13 in New York. I'm definitely going to miss NJN. I've truly enjoyed the opportunity to work with the staff there. It has, without a doubt, been one of the best experiences I've had as a freelancer and of my career in general. 



I'll spare you a lengthy recap of this saga since it's been covered in great detail elsewhere. Instead I'll do that lazy blogger thing where I just link to other articles. Here's some tweets:


I'm eager to see where public broadcasting in NJ goes from here. I'm especially anxious to find out where you'll be able to watch Classroom Close-up, NJ this fall. The series had been a co-production between New Jersey Network and the New Jersey Education Association.

I'm also hoping that NJTV will surprise its critics and put up a good showing for public television in the Garden State (as I suspect they will). In my eagerness to know more, I did a little Googling last night to see if I could turn up any new info about NJTV. This is what turned up when I searched for "NJTV" on YouTube:



I'm absolutely certain that video has anything to do with New Jersey or public television. If anyone knows what the heck that was, please tell me.


If you're interested in public education, visit the Classroom Close-up, NJ Facebook page and click the 'Like' button! To find out where I'm headed next, subscribe to my blog or follow me on Twitter.