Monday, October 3, 2011

The Best #ePatCon Video Ever, Am I Doing It All Wrong?

epatient Dave
Mark is the tall guy, third from left.
I've had the good fortune to do video work for e-Patient Connections each of the three years Krū Research has run the conference. This has ranged from creating promos, recording presentations, making a short documentary, and even live streaming part of this year's conference (which I'll write about in forthcoming, nerdy, technical post). Needless to say, they're a valuable client that spends money on video. (In case you're wondering, #ePatCon is the conference's Twitter hashtag)

With that said, I recently watched the best video ever made about the conference. I didn't make it and it didn't cost Krū Research a dime. Mark S. King made it for his blog, My Fabulous Disease.


With apologies to all my video production and photography pals who mock Flip and iPhone cameras, this is a perfect of example of how content always trumps technology. To be fair, I don't know what Mark shot this with (I didn't see anyone lugging around an ENG package at the conference) and he's obviously got editing chops to go with his writing skills. And while I know the term is becoming cliche, the authenticity is what makes his video great. He was part of the event, not just there to make a video. It also doesn't hurt that he's funny, I especially like how he pokes fun at the con's techno-serious promo. Compared to Mark's coverage of the event, the little documentary we produced back in 2009 is positively contrived.


Mark's video is great and it really has me rethinking my approach to covering conferences. How can the little pseudo-brand-journalism docs I've been producing ever live up to the honesty of pieces like this one? Maybe it would be better to just do straight up documentation and leave the synthesis up to the audience, bloggers, and journalists who have some emotional investment in the story. Maybe I just need to work harder to get to the heart of these stories.

I'd love to get some comments from the attendees of this event or any other conferences I've been at recently. Would you prefer we just stuck to showing the talks and slides and leave the analysis up to you?


You can read Mark's entire post about e-Patient Connections over at My Fabulous Disease. If you're interested in all things e-Patient and health 2.0, be sure to follow Kru Research's blog, The Patient Will See You Now. And while you're here, feel free to subscribe to my blog or follow me on Twitter.