Monday, April 30, 2012

Yo Era Un Estudiante Terrible De Español [Video]

I've been a little behind in getting out my blog posts this month. It reminds me of high school, when it seemed like I was always a little behind in completing my Spanish assignments. Looking back, not taking my language studies more seriously is probably one of my biggest educational regrets. More so now that I live in a world where hardly a day goes by that I don't hear the language being spoken. My linguistic shortcomings certainly weren't the fault of my dedicated high school Spanish teacher. She never gave up trying to get me more engaged in the classroom, and to her credit, I can muster a few useful phrases and words when the need arises.

The story, Spanish e-Pals, aired a few weeks ago on Classroom Close-up, NJ. It's about students at Emil  A. Cavallini Middle School in Upper Saddle River who are using social media to connect with students in Spain and practice their language skills. While we were making it, I kept wondering if having technology like this in the 1980's would have made a difference for me. Part of me thinks it definitely would have.



If you want to see the entire episode, it will be rebroadcast on May 6 at 6:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m, and 7:30 p.m. on NJTV or you can watch it online.

On a final note/confession, my original plan was to attempt writing this entire post in Spanish, both to experience what the students in this story are doing in the classroom, and as a long overdue apology/thank-you to my high school Spanish teacher, Ms. Sabo, for all those late assignments. But as you can see, all I managed to turn in was a hasty Google translation of the title. Algunas cosas nunca cambian.

Check out the Classroom Close-up, NJ Facebook page and click the 'Like' button! While you're here, subscribe to my blog or follow me on Twitter.