Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Understanding the Wild Things [Video]

This afternoon, as I was driving home from dropping off my package for the season finale of Classroom Close-up, NJ, I heard the news that Maurice Sendak had passed away.

I'd recently spent some serious time in the edit suite with Mr. Sendak's most famous work. The segment, which aired a few weeks ago, featured a classroom lesson centered around Where the Wild Things Are. The segment shows how educators at Elms Elementary School in Jackson Township are teaching students to apply comprehension strategies through artwork. Where the Wild Things Are has been out of the Bauser bedtime reading rotation since before I started using the keys to comprehension with the kids, so I never really thought about its meaning until I sat in on this lesson.




If you want to see the entire episode, it will be rebroadcast this coming Sunday, May 13 at 6:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m, and 7:30 p.m. on NJTV or you can watch it online.