Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Students Interview Joyce Hansen, Author of The Captive [Video]

The March 19 episode of Classroom Close-up, NJ featured one of those rare occurrences when I get to return to a school I've visited before. This time, I was back at Kresson School in Voorhees Township to show how students are combining language arts, research, interpersonal communication, and technology skills to explore history. 

Interviewing the Author
Fifth-graders at Kresson School in Voorhees Township Skype with award winning novelist Joyce Hansen about her book The Captive—a pre-teen novel about a young African prince who is kidnapped and brought to colonial America. The author explains how she researched the novel and answers questions about her characters. The students learn how to research, create website,s and conduct meaningful interviews.

I wish I had been able to include more about the book and Hansen, but I chose to focus on the pedagogy of the lesson and how it combined different areas of instruction to create a unique experience for the students. I have to admit, interviewing students who had just spent weeks learning about interviewing made me a little self-conscious about my technique.